"The 6 Principles of Playing from the Heart" - 100 Days of Soulforce #13
You want to play more deeply from the heart. You want to teach this to your students. However, this longing can be frustrated by common misconceptions about what it means to play expressively. To clear up these misconceptions, here are "The 6 Principles of Playing from the Heart":
1) What you pay attention to and how you pay attention is invariably reflected in your performances.
2) Playing from the heart means listening deeply to that which is alive inside you – your “inner audience member.”
3) Authentic expressive impulses are received from your inner audience member, not forced or contrived.
4) Your inner audience member generates two kinds of impulses: “feelings” and “wishes.” Feelings happen in response to what has just been performed, and wishes are about what will happen next.
5) Both heart and technique are necessary to bring your performances alive, but neither is sufficient by itself.
6) You and your audience "inter-are."
Day 13 of 100 Days of Soulforce:
- Why it's important to get really clear about what it actually means to play from the heart
- "The 6 Principles of Playing from the Heart" explained in detail
- Why playing from the heart might be the greatest gift we, as artists, can offer a world in turmoil
Subscribe to my blog or this YouTube channel to stay tuned!
What's "100 Days of Soulforce"?
I'm embarking on a mission to spread the word about Soulforce Performing Arts because I believe it is a needed message for artists of all kinds in our times. To that end, I'm making 100 videos over the coming 100 days (or so) to explain all the different angles and ideas, and to hopefully spark inspiration in you! Each video will have inspirational and practical ideas for you to bring more Soulforce to your life as a performing artist.
These ideas are a part of my upcoming book: "Soulforce Performance Arts: Redefining Artistic Performance, Practice, and Pedagogy in a World That's Lost Its Mind." Subscribers to my newsletter will get early access and special perks!
Violinist, Alexander Technique teacher, Founder of the Soulforce Arts Academy
JosephArnold.com -- Sign up for my bodacious mailing list and blog!